6.06.2007

If they expect me to buy more than five of those covers...

Vanity Fair's July issue, with guest editor Bono, will have 20, I repeat, TWENTY, different covers. The issue is Africa, and while I initially like the idea, after viewing the slideshow online of the different covers, I am a little befuddled by the order of some things.

First of all, cheers to Bono for getting President Bush on the cover of a magazine that is known to hate his guts. I really enjoyed Carter's quote in the Washington Post article about the issue: "Bono's choice, not mine, as you might imagine. He gives the commander in chief high marks on his Africa policies." What I would give to hear Carter's initial reaction to the idea.

Second, I like the numbers. I think the idea of twenty covers with people from all over the world 'joining in the conversation about Africa' is a smart way to show our country what a big problem the situation in Africa is. By using Bush and other politicians you get the political struggles, using Oprah and Madonna you get the celebrity cause angles, and using Brad Pitt, you get high magazine sales. The idea of connecting each person to two different covers, creating a chain of responses, is another stellar idea. And, of course, cheers to Annie Lebowitz for again producing fantastic images.

My only problem with the chain is that some people definitely see out of place in their position. I LOVE the image of Maya Angelou, but, I hate to say this, it's ruined by Madonna whispering in her ear. She's been photoshopped into a fantastic portrait, and still manages to steal the spotlight away from a more deserving persona. Also, I'm not sure what kind of joke Bono is trying to make by placing Bush with Archbishop Desmond Tutu, but there is definitely something humorous about that image. Maybe that's only because I've been listening to NPR all day talk about the US torturing prisoners, but placing Bush anywhere near a religious icon seems a tad ironic.

Finally, the photoshopping really annoys me. I understand it's required, you can't expect 22 people to have the same day off in March, but it still bothers me. People are being photoshopped into personal scenes, such as the Archbishop praying, and its an intrusion I don't like, especially when I know it's fake. But again, it is a situation that can hardly be fixed.

QUESTION FOR YOU So the only question I have now is what covers are going where? Because I'm in Texas will I get the Bush cover? Will Calfornians all find Madonna staring back at them later this week when the issue goes to newsstand? All I'm saying is if I get the cover with Chris Rock, I'll be sorely disappointed. Especially when it could have been Brad Pitt. Drop me a line and let me know what cover is being sold in your area. Until next time..

No comments: