6.25.2007

Simplicity is in...

So I first read about 2x4's Generation Praktikum exhibition on UnBeige and was intrigued.

The exhibit had some sort of social question behind it about "what the t-shirt says about the person" but that wasn't interesting me so much as what t-shirts were actually produced. (I know, it's another horrible example of my shallow interest, but you have to give me a break. I just finished grad school and have definitely used up my 'analytical' quota for the next five years.)

T-shirts, it seems, have always been too cool for me. I hear about crazy t-shirts through friends, but have never really been able to find the sites myself. No matter how much 'bad kerning' or 'What wouldn't Jesus Do?' t-shirts make me laugh, I can never muster up to strength to fork over twenty dollars to something 1. I couldn't wear to work and 2. would probably shrink and fade after one washing.

I'm all sad that these shirts aren't being sold online because even though I would never buy one for the above-mentioned reasons, I would still get a kick out of screen shopping. Anyway, I'm not sure if they only posted one photo for each shirt, or if I only had one shirt for each design. It wouldn't surprise me for the latter, it seems to fit the theme of identity. Each shirt, it would seem, was some sort of comparison the reader would be able to identify back to the wearer. So I suppose the question ends up being 'how do people want to be identified'

So enough analysis, it's hurting my head. On with the slideshow of examples: (for the complete slideshow, check out 2x4's flickr page)

First there were the type t-shirts, which gave a very straightforward metaphor for who this person was. Including, but not limited to band comparisons, celebrity couples and a few this/that selections:




Then you had your symbol t-shirts a-la road signs.



Something that first popped into my head during the whole 'Helvetica' craze this spring came to mind again: after thumbing through all 200-odd slides, most of these shirts were very minimalistic. What started with the Real Simple 'white space' has moved over into typography and illustration as well. No more deconstructed collages or crazy typefaces. It's all about simplicity and clean lines. The question now becomes if I use this style do my own designs become a cliche? Would someone hire me when all I can do is what everyone else can?



(and if you wanted to know which shirt I would be, it's definitely this one:

No comments: