10.03.2009

ACL Countdown: Saturday

Friday Summary:


Of course I didn't get there as early as I planned, but we still got to see Asleep at the Wheel. They've been to every ACL since it began---and play old-time country music. It was a perfect 'welcome back to Texas' opener.

Then I split up to see Blitzen Trapper, while my friends saw the Knux. I felt so old in the crowd---lots of high schoolers hanging around this one---but the band was pretty amusing. I thought the drummer--with a Z.Z. Top beard--was intriguing, but after about 30 minutes the energy in the crowd died. A lot of people left to get good spots for the Avett Brothers and I soon followed.

I've been looking forward to the Avett Brothers, and have been listening to their album religiously for the past week, but in concert they weren't the star-powered act I was hoping for. I think the biggest thing was they have this country sound, and look country---and unfortunately in Austin, that's what every college group looks and tries to sound like. Their music was still amazing, but it just generate any strong desire to stick around.

Dr. Dog was next, and well worth trying to get to the front. This is the group I know the most songs to, and was a pretty awesome time. My friend made fun of me for dancing so much---I was like the ONLY one around me---but it was totally worth the near dehydration that followed. I still think my favorite song is "The Rabbit, the Bat, and the Reindeer," although I keep getting those animals out of order when I talked about it. That was their closer--I had a blast at this one.

We wandered over the Phoenix, and tried to meet up with our friends, but the crowd was insane. Not sure why they weren't playing later in the day. The lead singer said he'd never played to a crowd this large before, and was all teary-eyed. We eventually forced our way up to the sound booth, but people were packed in. I need to hear more of their stuff before I get into the band, but it was definitely a nice way to be introduced.

We grabbed dinner and listened to Robin Hitchcock and the Venus 3, that guy is bizzare. He looks like a fatter David Bowie---with the white comb over--and would interrupt songs to go on these (drug-induced?) monologues about how one must 'keep vampirism in the family' and crazier stuff. His music was actually fine, apparently he produced his last album with REM's people, but for some reason I felt ACL wasn't weird enough for him--odd?

We made the decision around now to change up the plan. After Phoenix, and how far away we were, I really wanted to plan ahead a little more for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs at the end of the night. Instead of going to watch Andrew Bird, we decided to camp out early for the YYYs, and it was totally worth it. Granted, I was behind the three tallest guys who in turn were dating tall women!, but i was next to the railing and could see her really well from where I stood. A fun way to end the night--she's insane and it made for a great closer. They did play "Maps" without any drum, and my friend Stephen was pissed. I agree, the song was missing one of the best elements.

I heard Kings of Leon as we were walking home, they sounded just like they did on the radio, so I'm guessing I didn't miss much.

Saturday's Plan:
  • I'm definitely looking forward to the Decemberists the most. They should be playing Hazards of Love in its entirety, something I love--so this is the one I want to get close for today.
  • I'll be around the Livestrong/Dell stages most of the day---Grizzly Bear, Bon Iver, Citizen Cope, are all on my list. Will I get there in time to see Deer Tick? Crap--that's in two hours...
  • Ending the night with Ghostland Observatory. I was all convinced Austin folks would folk to Dave Matthews, leaving Ghostland exactly that, but according to Stephen they are huge here. Should be a good closer.