2.12.2008

Project Runway: Sweet Pea's collection

Sweet Pea has been one of those designers I never expected to make it this far along in the show. She has talent, but seemed too overwhelmed by many of the challenges. I think she's a good designer, she just needed the time to develop her collection. Working in the 24-hour time period of the challenges never worked in her favor, and too many times she barely made it passed judging.

I think that pretty much sums up her collection here, as well. These are shown in order of the show, unlike Chris' collection, because I think it's very telling how much Sweet Pea fell apart near the end

click on images to enlarge

(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)

The first four designs look great. I love the combination of the purple and yellow. Yellow is a big color this season, and it shows her responding more to the trends that Chris' velvet reds and blues. I think outfits 1 and 2 are different enough, showing both a work and cocktail version of the fabric, and then the transition to outfit 3 and 4 works. The plaid is very interesting and continues the collection while still maintaining unique qualities.

And then our little Chickpea went crazy.....
(5a) COAT
(5b) DRESS
(6)
(7)
(8)
(9)
(10)
(11)

All I can say about the rest is where was she going? The two paid numbers in red (6 & 7) have no connection to her eariler pieces and then her sudden transition into the shiny bold metallics (9, 10, 11) add to my confusion. I like the yellow print of 11, and while both 10 and 11 sort of relate to the purples eariler in the collection, there was WAY too much in between to make me remember that. And I'm sorry, a SWEATER DRESS (8) in the middle of it all?! I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!

To further add to my befuddlement, here's the last look. Black and white Ascot-type outfit. Cause that REALLY matches everything else. Did she just borrow this from Christian's collection?
(12)


I'm actually upset about this one, mostly because when I first saw those four outfits out front I was blown away. To go from thinking this girl could win it all to being convinced she is a decoy in ONE COLLECTION is a big move to take. Very sad, but this is Decoy Collection No. 2.

No comments: