2.14.2008

Project Runway: Christian's collection

Christian Christan Christian. I don't care how 'fierce' you are or how talented a designer you are, there is NOTHING that could convince me to wear anything you make. Now I've been creating my recaps in the order that I rated the collections, PRIOR to last night's episode. I still think Rami's is a better collection, and I would still wear both Sweet Pea's and Jillian's clothes before yours, but based on how the judges responded to your puffy sleeves last night, I'm going to go ahead and say it now: You're probably going to win. Congratulations! It was not only the easiest season yet, but also the most boring...anyway on to your collection.

-click on images to enlarge-

So what did I think? I hated it. But even hating the designs, I will still give you the fact that it's a solid collection. Each piece fit into the story and while I hated the lack of color, at least it had its purpose. I would like to mention here that a lot of these collections seem to have historical inspirations to them. Here it was more like a Puritan funeral meets a Victorian race day:

(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
(6)

WOW. Wasn't that depressing? I felt like I just got back from a funeral. I understand people in New York City like to wear a lot of black, but to actually present an entire collection in black kind of screams "I'm not from here but DESPERATELY want to feel like I get the the FABULOUS Manhattan culture." Of the first 6, I liked the shirts of Nos. 2, 3 and 5, five especially. 6 has a nice jacket, but by the time you get to it I'm too sober from the color choice to appreciate it. At this point all I'm seeing is black black black.

I feel sorry for Rami for being 'passionate' about such an obvious thing like draping. Because Christian has the same problem with puffy sleeved-jackets. Really Nos. 2 and 3 are the SAME thing. It's much too severe.Why couldn't you mix up all your blacks into the second half of the collection? Balance out the sobering jackets with Robin Hood and his Merry Men (9). Speaking of which.....

(7)
(8)
(9)
(10)
(11)
(12)

Now I have to give you No. 8. That shirt ROCKS. Never let them say I don't give credit where credit's due even when I hate you and everything you stand for.... I love the sheer shoulders, and that color is really nice for the office. I liked your neutral color pallet, I think it worked really well against the blacks, I just wish there was something else in there to add a little excitement. Especially when InStyle says BRIGHTS are in season....

All in all, the second six looks are just too costumey. I understand that last one (12) is your shock piece, but really, would someone wear this? It's so full and heavy, I itch just looking at it.
10 and 11 I think are just plain fuggly....and don't think I didn't notice your fur lined shoes (10)...

SO why do I think you will win? When the judges rewarded you with your third win, it became clear they are obsessed with you. Anything you do, no matter how repeatitive, is at least fashionably repetitive. I think they will go ape shit over your collection and you'll be dubbed Season 4 winner....god help Jay McCarroll because I do believe he's just been dethroned.