2.13.2008

Project Runway: Jillian's collection

So everyone knows Jillian has been my favorite designer this entire season. She actually seems like a serious designer looking for something more than screen time, and I'm willing to overlook her not being oh-so-dramatic during the episodes. Unlike others, I watch the show for the creative challenges, not the producer-created drama. BUT how would my golden child hold up at the fashion show? As much as I dislike Christian, I unfortunately have to place Jillian's collection under his because it just didn't have as much focus. Jillian gets my No. 3 spot: great clothes, confusing collection.

(1)
(2)
(3)

I liked 1. and 2. to start off with. The gray is a favorite color of mine and I thought the scarf was a nice casual touch on a formal color. No. 3 is a little eccentric--a little riding habit-esque--but I was willing to go with it. Every collections allowed to have its whims. And then I got to Miss Wonder Woman 2008:

(4)
WHAT THE HELL IS THIS? It's a Cleopatra color that looks too short to be a formal dress and too old to be a cocktail dress. Who would wear this? I was completely befuddled. Even more so when I saw the follow outfit (5) match the previous three. It almost gave me whiplash--classic...classic...quirkyclassic...CRAZY....classic.

(5)
(6)
While the skirt matches the rest of the collection in 6, The black and white was a drastic, and not necessarily good change. It's a boring look and I don't like the cream shoulders against the white/black stripes. Was the extra challenge that everyone had to create a black and white outfit for their collection? This REALLY didn't fit.

(7)
(8)
(9)(10)

And then we go back to the classic, Jillian looks in Nos 7-10. All of these at least match her story--but because of the outliers in between them, I had completely lost the collection's story thread at this point. Honestly, if you took 1-3, 7-10 by themselves, it would be a fantastic, be it somewhat drab color. As I said, I love gray, but you really have to throw another color in there to mix it up--something bright--not something mixed with black (4) or something dark itself (like No. 11).
(11)
(12)

By the last look (12) I was crestfallen. It's a fine formal gown, but overall this collection put me to sleep. I love the Jaslene dress (10) but all this black just did not deliver. Christian had the same problem, in my opinion, with too much black, but at least his collection has such a definitive story and style attached to it, the color, or lack there of, works for him.

All in all, Jillian presented a polished collection, but it doesn't have the oomph that will win her the competition. BUT I'd still buy her clothes.