2.29.2008

Projecy Runway: The Secret Challenge

So the reunion was this past Wednesday and not-so-surprise Chris was kicked off. But who cares, we all knew that already. What I really want to talk about is the unfairness of this season on the final 3 contestants (and Chris and SweetPea too). They each completed 10 looks during the season then had 6 months to create a collection....all of this we know....but wait!

At the beginning of the season each designer was asked to create 3 looks to 'preview' the show. AND each designer was asked to create 3 looks for the 'Sew Not Over' competition going on right now.....so really, in addition to the 12 looks in each collection, the designers had to design SIX, that's right SIX extra designs for these promotional events!

While they aren't mentioned on the show, I think it's still fair to judge how these 6 held up against each other.

RAMI
With the top 3, I think it's obvious the boy fell back on his traditional draping techniques. And why not? They have no bearing on if he wins or not, and he can apparently create them at a drop of a hat. While Tim seemed upset that Rami was branching away from draping in his final collection, these pieces show that they are still very much apart of what Rami designs.

As for the bottom 3, I am just loving purple right now. I was really impressed with all three of these because they seem much more complex than the first lot, and considering he was sewing away on his collection at the same time, I will have to say I give his looks an A minus....

JILLIAN
Jillian, like Rami, seemed to use her previous designs as a jumping off point for those first three looks. The jacket is straight out of the avant guard episode, the riding outfit's jacket looks very similar to her last challenge's black jacket in its form, although it's hard to tell from the photo size. Finally, that middle look seems very similar to her mini-dress appearing in her final collection.

Jillian, it seems, did not try as hard as Rami on the bottom looks. I really like the black dress, but there is no cohesion between these looks. I think she was too concerned with her collection to really give these that much effort. However, I still think each look has a very 'Jillian' style to it. While they don't really compete with the other 3-piece collections, it still translates who Jillian is as a designer very well. I give it a B minus.

CHRISTIAN
I remember loving Christian's long scarf at the beginning of the season, but at the same time not really thinking it showed much effort. One thing you can say about this boy is he knows how to put on a show. Big frilly neck accessories are his way of distracting the audience from ordinary pieces, but if the whole point of fashion is the 'look' you represent, that's not a really fair criticism on my part. The other two are fuggly.

As for his final three looks, at least we solved the baffling question of where all the color went in Christan's Bryant Park collection. WHAT THE HELL IS WITH THOSE TIGHTS! That dress is acceptable, if trendy, but those TIGHTS. Made me gag. And I'm sorry, light blue pants with designs focusing attention on your CROTCH are not the type of things women would want to wear. I never thought Christian designed for real women, he's much more about the 'art' behind his clothes than the people wearing them. Finally, it's hard to judge that second outfit, I like the color, but the photo makes it hard to tell if he wants her to look like Working Girl's Melanie Griffin, or if her shoulders are just hunched over in protest. I give it a C.

So. Jillian, while once my favorite, has fallen a little in my eyes as I have embraced the draping that is Rami. I respect him for sticking to what he does best, because he's great at it. Here's hoping he wins. Depends on how much the New Yorkers notice the lack of color in Christian's collection, if you ask me. Should be a fun night.