2.11.2008

Project Runway: Chris' collection

So even though this season was horrible and contributed NOTHING to the creative output of society, I still LOVE going through the collections and guessing whose in and whose out. All five designers left on the show as of last week's auf'ing presented their collections.

We'll start with Chris, and why I think he's a decoy. First, here are the outfits I liked, for various reasons:

--click to see larger images--
(1)
I recognize the fact that this is Dani from America's Next Top Model and the fact that she is rocking this dress is swaying my opinion. I do like the color, the dark red, along with a velvet blue were the only connections between a lot of these looks. Biggest reason I think Chris is a decoy? The collection is all over the place, and created more as if he just wanted to put out his best work, no matter if it matched each other or not.

(2)
The black outfit (2) in velvet I didn't like at all, until I saw the detail in the crocheting. This I like mostly because I crochet and was impressed how the scarf and the dress carried the same crochet pattern. Nice touch, but the outfit still seems bulky and way too winter-looking:
CLOSE UP

As far as the rest of the collection, the following held my interest, but I'm wouldn't necessarily say they were good choices for a collection of an 'up and coming designer'. The red dress (3) is very striking, but it's a little too prom. I like the Victorian feel of the dress, but unfortunately this isn't a Masterpiece Theater.
(3)(4)
The black suit (4) was a repeated look throughout the collection (6,7,8,9) of monkey hair (?) type suits with sharp lines and velvet trim. This one pulled it off the best, but again, I have to question the trend here. Is this in any ways in style? The screen of Mount Rushmore on blue (5), is intriguing, but not in any way connected to the collection.
(5)
(6)
(7)
(8)
(9)

As far as 6. goes, all I can say is look at that back image. It's bulky and heavy and just NOT SEXY. Chris was definitely designing in another generation, as seen by his white tights on many of the models. I just watched a BBC show on fashion designers in the 20s, and some of these designs come straight out of that post-Victorian look. 7 and 8 are the same thing, only in a skirt and pant form, and then 9 is the same pattern as 7, but in a different color. The similarities are just too great between these designs, and yet so different from the rest of the look it leads me to believe that Chris is a decoy.

Why? two reasons.

1. He started a collection, be it a out-of-date one, but didn't carry it through.

2. He really went in one specific direction, and showed little editing. As in Tim Gunn does not appear after three months to tell him to MAKE IT WORK.

1 comment:

Summah said...

I'm so glad they got rid of Ricky. One interesting note...it always seemed as if he was crying or looking like he was about to cry. And the one time I expected him to really turn on the waterworks (when they auf'd him)....nothing. Not so much as a quivering lip.

I felt cheated.